* The Roman Catholic Church has recognized and blessed the Sorrowful Rosary. If it is recited fulfilling the Church's conditions, full or partial indulgence is granted. Indulgence is the granting of freedom from punishment still due for sins committed (cf. Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1471-1479, 1498).
* Documents containing conditions of the Sorrowful Rosary can be obtained from the priests of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Ireland or England, "The Servite Fathers of Our Lady's Priory."
* To obtain full indulgence: 1) Recite the Sorrowful Rosary in front of the Blessed Sacrament. 2)Recite the Sorrowful Rosary every day for one month. 3) Recite the Sorrowful Rosary on Tuesday and Friday for the souls of Purgatory. 4) Recite the Sorrowful Rosary on September 15 which is the feast day of the Blessed Virgin's Seven Sorrows. The Rosary can be said anywhere. 5) Recite the Sorrowful Rosary anywhere on Good Friday.
* To obtain partial indulgence: The Sorrowful Rosary carries partial indulgences when recited anywhere at any time.
* The Sorrowful Rosary was granted full or partial indulgence on May 28, 1942. Reference: S. Penit Ap. Can. No.934. Preces et Pia, OPUS XV.
* According to St. Bridget of Sweden (1302-1373), the Blessed Virgin grants seven graces to the souls who honour her daily by meditating on her tears and dolors, at the same time praying seven Hail Marys for each sorrow.
The seven special graces are: 1) Our Blessed Mother will grant peace to their families. 2) They will be enlightened about the divine mysteries. 3) Our Heavenly Mother will console them in their pains and she will accompany them in their work. 4) She will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the perfect will of her Divine Son or the sanctification of the soul. 5) Our Blessed Mother will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and she will protect them at every instant of their lives. 6) She will visibly help them at the moment of their death. They will see the face of their mother. 7) She has obtained this grace from her Son, that those who propagate this devotion to her tears and dolors, will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness since all their sins will be forgiven. She and her Son will be their eternal consolation and joy.
The seven sorrows of Our Blessed Mother are: 1) The prophecy of Simeon; 2) The flight into Egypt; 3) The loss of the Child Jesus in the temple; 4) The meeting of Jesus and Mary on the Way of the Cross; 5) The Crucifixion; 6) The taking down of the Body of Jesus from the Cross; 7) The burial of Jesus.
A) Begin with an act of contrition to clear any obstacle before God and Our Blessed Mother. "O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell, but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, who art all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to confess my sins, to do penance, and to amend my life. Amen."
B) Pray one Our Father along with seven Hail Marys after meditating each sorrow of Our Blessed Mother.
C) An inspiration for meditating the seven sorrows of Our Blessed Mother are: 1) The prophecy of Simeon (that a sword is piercing through her soul due to so many souls being lost in the world today); 2) The flight into Egypt (Jesus, Mary and Joseph were chased away from their homeland; today many souls chase them away or cast them out); 3) The loss of the Child Jesus in the temple (Today many souls have lost their innocence - the loss of Jesus once again in God's temples); 4) The meeting of Jesus and Mary on the Way of the Cross (Mary's untold sorrow when seeing Jesus and His teaching being re-persecuted today); 5) The Crucifixion (Jesus is re-crucified alive countless times again today by many people, including chosen souls, who commit mortal sins); 6) The taking down of the Body of Jesus from the Cross (Christ's Sacred Body and His Mystical Body have been unspeakably blasphemed, disfigured and quashed); 7) The burial of Jesus (Mother's indescribable sorrow in seeing innumerous burials of Jesus's very presence both on earth and in everlasting hell).
D) We can further choose a general theme each day for meditation on Our Lady's seven sorrows when she keeps seeing countless souls going through abortion, suicide, murdering, sexual abuse, sin of the flesh, broken family and relationship, apostasy, satanic worship, betrayal of Christ and His Church, perishing in sins and into everlasting hell, etc.
E) Concluding prayers: "Queen of Martyrs, your soul was greatly troubled in the ocean of suffering. We beg you by the merits of the tears you shed in these terrible sorrowful mysteries, to obtain for us and all sinners of the world, the grace of complete sincerity and repentance. Amen." To wipe away Mary's tears during her immense sufferings, say Our Father, Hail Mary and the following prayer three times. "O heart of Mary, conceived without original sin, yet did suffer so much for us, pray for us who have recourse to you."