Most Blessed Sacrament  

      

  

        MOST BLESSED SACRAMENT CHURCH

PARISH OFFICE 3509 Taylor Blvd. Louisville, KY 40215 502-361-0149

  PARISH SCHOOL 1128 Berry Blvd. Louisville, KY 40215 502-361-7103

  Rev. John U. Caskey Pastor   Deacon Harry Prestwood   Deacon John Simmons

  MASS  SCHEDULE

Sunday Liturgies 8:30 AM and 11 :00 AM

Saturday Liturgy 5:30 PM

Daily Liturgy 8:00 AM

 Holy Day 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM

Holy Day Eve 6:00 PM

 

Parish Mission Statement
A family of faith who strives to live the gospel of Jesus Christ through love and service to one another.

 

Parish History

In 1937, when Louisville was recovering from the great flood, Most Blessed Sacrament Parish was in the process of being formed. The Rev. William J. Mulcahy was appointed as Pastor, and when the flood water began to recede, a place was needed to hold Mass.

Undaunted by the huge task ahead, Father Mulcahy enlisted the help of our neighbors at Carlisle Avenue Baptist Church. The Baptists had a building on Woodruff Avenue which once had been a church. Although it was dirty from the flood and in disrepair, Father Mulcahy saw it as a place where he could hold Mass. Together, our parishioners, many of which are still with us, cleaned up the Baptist building. Then, on the fourth Sunday of April, 1937, less than four months after the parish had been established, Father Mulcahy said Mass in the building he had rented from Brother Walker and his church.

The new Most Blessed Sacrament School/Church building was opened in the 1100 block of Berry Boulevard.

Continued construction through 1963 was the order of business after the school/church building was put to use in 1938. In the early 40's, a rectory was built. In August of 1952, a convent was ready for the Charity nuns who operated the school from 1938 until 1972. At that time, the Ursuline nuns came and they are still actively involved in the school. It was not until 1962, when the parish had money in the bank, that ground was broken at Taylor Boulevard and Hathaway Avenue for a permanent church building. Its completion in 1963 gave us one of the most impressive churches in the city.