Return to Home Page


Saint Paul Parish
Candia, New Hampshire
Saint Peter Parish
Auburn, New Hampshire

The Catholic faithful of Candia have been served well by dedicated pastors of Saint Paul Parish since its founding on December 15, 1971, and the Catholic faithful of Auburn have been served well by dedicated pastors of Saint Peter Parish since its founding on July 14, 1948. Throughout that time, many people have heard the Word of God, worshiped and received the sacraments of the Church in these parishes. Now, in an effort to strengthen the preaching of the Gospel and to ensure the vitality of parish life, with concern for the best stewardship of resources and the right of the People of God to receive assistance from the Church, especially the Word of God, spiritual sustenance, the sacraments, and the continuation of important parochial ministries to the poor, elderly, families, children, and the community at large, it is necessary to make new provisions for the spiritual care of the parishioners of these parishes,

To that end, having asked parishioners to make known their needs and desires, having received the recommendations of the constituents of Cluster Task Force Number Six, including the Deans and Pastors of the Amoskeag and Rockingham Deaneries, and the Long Range Planning Commission, and after consultation with the Presbyteral Council and the Finance Council of the Diocese of Manchester, in accord with canons 515 and 526 ยง1 of the 1983 Code of Canon Law, I hereby decree, within the Diocese of Manchester, the twinning of Saint Paul Parish in Candia, New Hampshire and Saint Peter Parish in Auburn, New Hampshire.

This decision is based upon a number of components, including the spiritual welfare of the People of God in Candia and Auburn, the proximity of the worshiping communities and the church edifices, the size of the parishes, the enhancement of collaborative ministry, and the best use of available priest and lay personnel.

The twinning of Saint Paul Parish and Saint Peter Parish will not affect the juridic personality of either parish, which they now possess at Church law. Therefore, Saint Paul Parish and Saint Peter Parish shall remain separate and distinct parishes, and shall continue to be the subjects in canon law of obligations and rights corresponding to their natures as juridic persons. Each parish shall retain its own territory, subjects, and activities.

All assets, whether movable or immovable, and all liabilities of Saint Paul Parish and Saint Peter Parish, upon this twinning, will remain attached to each respective parish, with no change in ownership or sharing of assets and liabilities between the two parishes. Saint Paul Parish and Saint Peter Parish may retain their own parish personnel and staff, and shall retain distinct parish pastoral councils and parish finance councils. Each parish shall continue to maintain independent sacramental, financial, and historical records and books.

I hereby direct that this Decree be given to the Very Reverend C. Peter Dumont, V.F., the current pastor of Saint Peter Parish in Auburn, New Hampshire and St. Paul Parish in Candia, New Hampshire, and that this Decree, which will take effect at midnight at the end of February 25, 2006, be communicated at all Masses of obligation at both parishes on the weekend of February 25/26, 2006.

Given at Manchester this twenty-first day of February, 2006.

Picture Picture


Book VII, Part V, Section 1 of the 1983 Code of Canon Law provides for recourse against administrative decrees. The first desire expressed by the Code itself is that there be no contention between one who feels injured and the author of the decree [of. canon 1732]. Nonetheless, should it seem necessary to propose recourse against a decree issued by the bishop or by authorities subject to him, the following guidelines may be of assistance.

1. The pastor alone represents the parish in all juridic affairs [cf. canon 532]. Only the pastor may propose recourse in the name of the parish. Individuals may not claim to represent the parish, nor can groups of individuals claim to represent the parish in proposing recourse. An individual may propose recourse in his or her own name. Similarly, a group of individuals may propose recourse collectively, but representing themselves and no others. They may not claim to represent a larger group, or the entire parish.

2. According to canon 1734, before proposing hierarchic recourse (petition for examination of a decree by the proper Dicastery of the Holy See), one must seek revocation or emendation of the decree. This must be done in writing, to the author of the decree, within a peremptory period of ten working days from legal notice of the decree. Accordingly, prior to the close of business on the tenth working day after legal notice of the decree, a written request for Bishop McCormack to revoke or emend the decree must be sent or delivered to:

Most Reverend John B. McCormack, D.D.
Diocese of Manchester
153 Ash Street
PO Box 310
Manchester, NH 03105-0310

  1. The request must state exactly what is being petitioned, and the reasons why.

  2. Requests that are not specific as to what is being sought or why, will not be accepted and will not be considered as delaying the initial ten-day time limit.

  3. Requests for an extension of time will not be honored.

  4. Requests sent by facsimile telecopier will not be accepted.

3. If a valid request for revocation or emendation of the decree is received within the ten-day time limit, Bishop McCormack has thirty days from receipt of the petition to decide his response. If no response is given in thirty days, a negative response is to be assumed [cf. canon 1735].

4. If, after legitimate petition Bishop McCormack does not emend or revoke the initial decree, hierarchic recourse may be proposed to the Holy See. This must be done within a peremptory time limit of fifteen working days. This recourse cannot validly be proposed unless one has first written to Bishop McCormack to ask him to revoke or emend the decree, as in Number 2 above. This recourse is to be made in writing, along with the reasons for seeking recourse, to the proper Dicastery of the Holy See.