Parish History of St. Mary's Catholic Church of Westville, Welcome!


Last updated July 21, 2014


Bottom of the Page

ST. MARY'S PARISH HISTORY


From Our Past


St. Mary's Catholic Church was founded in 1903. A school was built and the upper floor was used as the church. In 1906, a brick church was built. Rev. Patrick O'Culleton was the pastor, serviing until 1910. Fr. John Fitzpatrick was the second pastor from 1910 to 1918. Fr. Thomas Cleary was the third from 1918 to 1928.
During the depression, Fr. Thomas Muleady served from 1928 to 1939. Effects of the depression led to the school closing. Fr. Julius Siesel was appointed pastor in 1939; revival of the parish began. The school was reopened. The church which had been structurally damaged from underground mines had to be replaced.
The new church was built and dedicated on April 30, 1950. In 1954, the church tower, rectory and garage were completed. A new school was built in 1960. Fr. Siesel was awarded papal honors and he became Monsignor. After 38 dedicated years, he retired in 1977.
Fr. Leo Bates, co-pastor, was named pastor and served until 1984. He was succeeded by Fr. Richard Fitzsimmons until October, 1988. Then, Fr. Albert Hallin arrived and served until May, 1990. Fr. David Heinz, the ninth pastor, served June, 1990 until June, 1994. Fr. Patrick Riordan served from June, 1994 to June 1996.
Then Fr. Dean Huguet was the pastor until his untimely death on Holy Thursday, April 2000 following an extended illness. In June 2000, our next pastor was Fr. David Erickson and he served St. Mary's until Feburary 14, 2007. Fr. David Erickson had the Church sanctuary decorated with various murals and added the Eucharistic Chapel.
Next came Fr. Thomas Badovsky for a few months and then Fr. Rchard Brunskill was assigned and he served for one year. After him, Fr. Timothy Sauppé became pastor in June of 2008.
Members of other Catholic Churches have been received into the parish family: 1948--St. Anthony's, Hegeler; 1951--St. Procopius; and 1990--Sts. Peter and Paul.



Parish Organizations and other information:

Parish Advisory Council


Baptism Information

CCD or Religious Education

Questions about Catholic Christianity

Marriage Information

Altar Servers

Mission Statement


WeAreTheCHurch

Past Pastors

Annual Stewardship Appeal

Sacred Heart Cemetery

Parish Cookbook

Links

Sick List


Youth Group/CWA

Parish History

Parish Directory

Hall Regulations

Sunday Bulletin

Mass & Confession Times


Altar & Rosary Society

Holy Name Society

Madonna Rosary

Lectors

Communion Ministers

Go to Home Page.
How to reach St. Mary's Catholic Parish:

231 N. State St.,
Westville, IL. 61883
Rectory phone number 217-267-3334

Bottom of the page.

Top of page.

WRITE TO THE PASTOR